Author Topic: What do YOU want to see improved/changed in Cry of Fear?  (Read 563088 times)

JamesINACTIVEUSER

• Inactive - Contact others for assistance
  • CoF Team
  • Inactive user
    • View Profile
What do YOU want to see improved/changed in Cry of Fear?
« on: 13 September, 2012, 12:05:49 AM »
So now that Cry of Fear has been Greenlit, it gives us an excellent opportunity to revise parts of the game that weren't so great/frustrated you or plain didn't fit.

For example, here's what I would like:

• Less jump scares
  • Increased stability (hopefully this is something Valve can assist with with some engine improvements)
  • Less backtracking or increase the interest in the areas you backtrack to
  • Better co-op gameplay with a satisfying end fight

Be as honest as you like. This is about improving the experience.
I am no longer active on this project. Please contact other members of staff for assistance!

Chesh

Re: What do YOU want to see improved/changed in Cry of Fear?
« Reply #1 on: 13 September, 2012, 12:13:04 AM »
I never liked the fact that Simon gets hit by a car and ends up in an alleyway. It kinda just makes the fact that Simon is actualy a crazy cripple not a suprise/plot-twist at all.

I'll definetly think of a ton of things a little later after I get some sleep.

Satoru

« Reply #2 on: 13 September, 2012, 12:14:57 AM »
The Jump Puzzle in the crashed train is something that kinda needs a workover. It seems like a lot of people got frustrated with it because some jumps are hard to do, maybe give them more time or such.

D3ads

• Donator
  • Loyal Servant Of The Psycho Queen Of Bulgary
    • View Profile
    • Moddb
« Reply #3 on: 13 September, 2012, 12:22:49 AM »
Fixing AI pathfinding is all I can think of right off the bat...

G0Idn

« Reply #4 on: 13 September, 2012, 12:26:18 AM »
The only thing that frustrated me in Cry of Fear was the first time I fought against the final boss at Ending 1/2/3. I had only a Glock (one clip), a M16 (also one clip) and a lantern.
I didn't have any extra ammo, some ammo at the tape recorder "Suicide" would be cool to see.

JonSplitz

• Donator
  • doot doot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 September, 2012, 12:36:12 AM »
This. Please make this easier to people to complete.
Also, add a better coop ending like a boss fight and more unlockables.
« Last Edit: 13 September, 2012, 01:01:01 AM by JonSplitz »

Zaratul

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 September, 2012, 12:37:43 AM »
Definitely increased stability.Please fix crashes and whitescreen bug.

Darkydude

« Reply #7 on: 13 September, 2012, 12:41:43 AM »
The mod is easy enough.

I suggest you take a look back at AOM:DC and how/what made it scary.

Satoru

« Reply #8 on: 13 September, 2012, 12:46:04 AM »
When you want to really change something in the story/gameplay experience, why not add somewhat like a Directors Cut to the main game?

What I found pretty interesting was at one of the first Dev. Commentary nodes, ruMpel mentioned something about people watching you out of every window in that certain street, but removed it because it could scare the player too much right at the beginning.
We also had some wonderful main campaign suggestions in the Suggestions subforum, like the idea with the boat scene after the doctor boss: http://www.cry-of-fear.com/forum/index.php?topic=2036.0

mikkomies

• Loved this place
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 13 September, 2012, 12:51:35 AM »
Here's a couple from me. Some major and some minor.

-The school section could be perhaps a bit longer. I know it only serves as a place to get the fuse but it would give a bit more exploration
-Areas or scenarios where the "call" function of the phone can be used.
-Couple more slower and suicider variants.
-No baby monsters when you exit a door
-Sections with flares. The flares were a great opportunity for cool scenarios but they were forgotten way too fast in my opinion.
-A menu in the secret room where you can select custom hoodies from a list. I actually mentioned this sometime ago.
-The flashlight is easy to get and find. Perhaps the player could be made to work for it. If he doesn't, he can always use the lantern.
-The forest could one or two areas longer. Also instead of those crazybitches in there, there could be some sort of really fucked up looking motherfucker stalking you through the forest.
-The new keypad thing that James was making should replace all the previous keypads in the campaign.
-There are many "jammed doors" in the game. Select some and make them so that they can be opened. Gives more to explore and more possibilites for scary shit.
-Maybe something could be done about carcasse's appearance.
- this http://www.cry-of-fear.com/forum/index.php?topic=2036.0

Nothing else comes to mind. Nice of you to ask the community  :stig:

My TKIV 85 Fiona. 7.62x53R

Chesh

« Reply #10 on: 13 September, 2012, 12:58:24 AM »
Remove the bed monsters earlier on in the game, make them more apparent when shit hits the fan.
I always loved the concept of making it feel like some type of funky outbreak was going on and the bed guys kinda breaks you out of that feel.

Also maybe some more of those guys who run around on their backs.

JonSplitz

• Donator
  • doot doot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 September, 2012, 01:02:27 AM »
When I mean about new unlockables. I mean like funny, unserious unlockables like a Joe Biden picture which can one kill everything except bosses and sawrunners/sawcrazys on easy to difficult but every time you swing it, it hurts you. :joebiden:
For nightmare, let it insta-kill you when you first swing it. :joebiden:

Kali

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 September, 2012, 01:07:35 AM »
I would love a better co-op ending, always would be nice.

But I would like to see some effects of the decisions you make in the game, such as when you decide to kill Carcass.. after that Simon could possibly have more flashbacks about Sophie, or through the campaign there would be some hallucinations about her etc. OR if you don't save her Simon could still have some flashbacks, but he feels that something inside them is "missing" and it would obviously be Sophie he is talking about. I.E/ - Flashback if you kill Carcass - You walk to the bench at the docks, and you have a flashback that Simon and Sophie are sitting together holding hands and its sunny, and maybe they're talking to each other(if you still have the female voice actor). I.E/ - Flashback if you run away from Carcass - You walk to the same bench, but the flashback is Simon sitting they're alone crying while it's raining, maybe while crying he says "why.." to himself in a sad manner obviously. And maybe for hallucinations he would see Sophie(if killed carcass) from a distance somewhere and he would say something like "Sophie..? is that you?" and when he approaches he gets the urge to kill himself, such as the one he gets when he approaches a "Floating crazywoman" but when he breaks the urge Sophie would vanish. Or if he didn't kill Carcass perhaps "Sophie" could be just a Dark figure obviously still representing that "missing" feeling Simon will have.

TL;DR - It's not even that long, go read it.

This is just something I would like to see improved on in CoF, but in the end you guys would probably still come up with something interesting.  :joebiden:

Pocot

• Donator
  • Respectful non-believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 September, 2012, 02:19:41 AM »
What I would like to see improved:

-More secret rooms (if it's possible).
-JonSplitz' idea's not that bad  :joebiden:
-I agree with ALL Mikkomies' propositions.
-More interactions, maybe, with items, like adding a new battery in the phone, or using the two cissors halves, that kind of stuff was cool, but not enough exploited IMO.
-Maybe upgrade the TMP. I know you don't want to edit weapons, but the TMP is really weak, and can't be dual-wielded (that's normal, of course). So, my propositions: either make it as powerful as the glock (or nearly as powerful), either make it compatible with the taclight. I know it is not likely to be added, but hey, I can ask ^^

I like the game as it is, even with those jumpscares. I love the way it is frightening. Not too cheap, but also someti¨mes very basic (in a good way) :)

"RE4 changed, RE5 Killed and RE6 hid the body. And revelations just tried to tell the family everythings going to be alright" (Mikkomies)

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198007730048/

Braindawg

• Donator
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 September, 2012, 02:48:38 AM »
re-add the Sawcrazy in the campaign to make everyone rage the fuck out :joebiden: