Author Topic: Small interview  (Read 8762 times)

ruMpel

• Lead & Level/General Artist
  • CoF Team
    • View Profile
    • Cry of Fear
    • Email
Small interview
« on: 29 June, 2011, 06:44:23 PM »
Here's a small interview about me that you can read, enjoy!

http://modsentry.com/2011/06/andreas-ronnberg-interview/

Garioncete

• Donator
  • Time waits for no one
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Small interview
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2011, 07:36:42 PM »
"Also, I personally hate it when most developers just leave notes and such to let the players read and understand the story. So to prevent that, we have made cutscenes to tell you the story."

Man, Andreas, so fucking true.

"Tell your friends about Cry of Fear. Donít give a **** if itís to Half-Life 1, graphics doesít mean ****, itís a fun gameplay that does. So go tell them, and preferibly buy some clothes from our store as well, to spread the words even deeper."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

good interview pal
« Last Edit: 29 June, 2011, 07:38:41 PM by Garioncete »

Servo Ten

• Donator
  • Business Sluts.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2011, 11:30:05 PM »
"Also, I personally hate it when most developers just leave notes and such to let the players read and understand the story. So to prevent that, we have made cutscenes to tell you the story."

When you say notes and such, do you mean like it's written in the manual or how there's parts in the game where you stop and it tells you about the story like the terminals in Halo 3 and ODST? Or is it just when the developers say "Here's the story. Go." ?

ruMpel

• Lead & Level/General Artist
  • CoF Team
    • View Profile
    • Cry of Fear
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2011, 12:26:22 AM »
I mean like in Paranoia or Amnesia, where you find notes to read.

Servo Ten

• Donator
  • Business Sluts.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2011, 01:28:22 AM »
Yeah, it's pretty unsatisfying.

D3ads

• Donator
  • Loyal Servant Of The Psycho Queen Of Bulgary
    • View Profile
    • Moddb
« Reply #5 on: 30 June, 2011, 01:32:41 AM »
The problem with cutscenes though is that they don't work in all games, because it takes away control from the player.. notes at least allow you stay in control and they're optional. Of course, with Silent Hill.. both mediums work well together.

BerZerK

• Voice Actor - Doctor
  • CoF Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 30 June, 2011, 02:23:59 AM »
The problem with cutscenes though is that they don't work in all games, because it takes away control from the player.. notes at least allow you stay in control and they're optional. Of course, with Silent Hill.. both mediums work well together.

If cut-scenes dont work its because the developer didnt put enough effort into making it a satisfying break and entertaining at the same time. Loosing control isnt that much of a problem until the player notices it. Like in some games (Half-Life comes to mind), free control can be problematic at times, because you might miss details that the characters hide with their models (and whatnot) unless the player is moving dynamically with them, or if you as the player is actually looking somewhere else (like finding the fucking garden gnome).
Scripted cut-scenes that you "must" watch is an opportunity for the player to lift his arms from the controllers, and at the same time follow the game's storyline.
Just my two cents on the matter.

Garioncete

• Donator
  • Time waits for no one
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 30 June, 2011, 04:36:52 AM »
What's MGS without cutscenes :)

Lariat

• Donator
  • Ia! Ia!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 30 June, 2011, 09:00:13 AM »

Tactical hide-and-seek simulation.

kekle3

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 01 July, 2011, 05:52:32 AM »
I personally really like the "notes telling a story". But the notes have to be placed the right spots, and not be telling the player something directly..

Like if you wake up in a deserted hospital. Then you search around and find a medical journal on yourself, written by a docter, that tells something about the patient. Those kind of hints work very well imo.

HEVIS

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 July, 2011, 09:21:21 PM »
I think notes work fine aswell, but cutscenes are usually more enjoyable, thats what I think atleast.

D3ads

• Donator
  • Loyal Servant Of The Psycho Queen Of Bulgary
    • View Profile
    • Moddb
« Reply #11 on: 01 July, 2011, 11:15:28 PM »
If cut-scenes dont work its because the developer didnt put enough effort into making it a satisfying break and entertaining at the same time. Loosing control isnt that much of a problem until the player notices it. Like in some games (Half-Life comes to mind), free control can be problematic at times, because you might miss details that the characters hide with their models (and whatnot) unless the player is moving dynamically with them, or if you as the player is actually looking somewhere else (like finding the fucking garden gnome).
Scripted cut-scenes that you "must" watch is an opportunity for the player to lift his arms from the controllers, and at the same time follow the game's storyline.
Just my two cents on the matter.

Cutscenes in vanilla Half-Life would be lame though, it would just take away from immersion so I'm glad they ditched them from the earlier builds. Sure you might miss stuff but usually it's not much because the way the levels are designed more often than not points you in the direction of interesting events, the point is you're Gordon Freeman... the minute a new POV comes into play, you lose that sense of being the character and it just becomes a film.

Like I said in games like Silent Hill they work great because there's a cinematic feel to the whole thing already (fixed camera angles focussing on the player). In an FPS the best way to do cutscenes is through actual first-person player-perspective scenes.. like in Call Of Duty games.. but even then the control is taken away and the player can no longer feel part of the action.

A videogame?

Cocyx

« Reply #12 on: 02 July, 2011, 01:54:33 AM »

two hours

Garioncete

• Donator
  • Time waits for no one
    • View Profile
    • Email