Poll

Should Isaac have a voice actor or be a silent character like Gordon Freeman?

Yes
Maybe...
I dunno
Nah
Why do you keep posting these dumb polls?

Author Topic: Purgatory - a CoF Custom Campaign  (Read 14518 times)

JonSplitz

• Donator
  • doot doot
    • View Profile
Purgatory - a CoF Custom Campaign
« on: 29 April, 2013, 02:15:29 AM »
Purgatory - a CoF Custom Campaign

Description:

Purgatory is a Cry of Fear custom campaign where you play as Isaac Harper, a man pushed to the edge, ending with a Brutal Suicide. Later, you awaken in an abandoned hospital where something is watching you, and you need to find out what.

Features:

• Thrilling 1 to 2 hour campaign
  • Decision branches
  • A wide variety of maps
  • Cutscenes

Chapters:

Prologue - 70%
Chapter 1: Where am I? - 20%
Chapter 2: The Journey Home - 15%
Chapter 3: Welcome to Hell - 0%

Overall progress - 19%

Screenshots:

ModDB link: http://www.moddb.com/mods/cof-purgatory
Isaac Harper Hoodie link: http://www.cry-of-fear.com/forum/index.php?topic=3651.0
Banner made by Arvuti
« Last Edit: 28 February, 2014, 10:25:59 PM by JonSplitz »

Pocot

• Donator
  • Respectful non-believer
    • View Profile
Re: Purgatory - a CoF Custom Campaign
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2013, 02:25:58 AM »
The 2nd screen is very good.
The 1st one is way too "blocky", too square. Maybe try more detailed structures (chair, matress, table...). The third one may need some more details but is quite good either way. I presume other people may provide more precise advice :)
But continue like that, it seems interesting. Just need a bit more work, IMO :)
"RE4 changed, RE5 Killed and RE6 hid the body. And revelations just tried to tell the family everythings going to be alright" (Mikkomies)

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198007730048/

DeadHammer

• Inb4 "u wot m8?"
    • View Profile
    • ContinentalWiz!
« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2013, 02:32:53 AM »
This is looking great! Although the map in the 3rd screenshot may need a little bit variation regarding the Radiosity of the area.

Also the bump mapping (of the 3rd screenshot) needs a little bit of work, or just reduce the lightning brightness.

Love the 2nd Screenshot by the way <3

Thats what i call OWNAGE :yow:

Add me if yer guys want to :) 

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cryofhammer

D3ads

• Donator
  • Loyal Servant Of The Psycho Queen Of Bulgary
    • View Profile
    • Moddb
« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2013, 02:50:39 AM »
The 1st one is way too "blocky", too square. Maybe try more detailed structures (chair, matress, table...). The third one may need some more details but is quite good either way. I presume other people may provide more precise advice :)

This, especially that horrible looking chair!

You've definately come along nicely though Alex, keep it up!

JonSplitz

• Donator
  • doot doot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2013, 03:03:39 AM »

Got it, I'll get rid of the 'blocky' chair and add some more detailed stuff.

Pocot

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2013, 03:08:08 AM »

Got it, I'll get rid of the 'blocky' chair and add some more detailed stuff.
DON'T take it bad. Every criticism is NOT an attack  :stig:
(it's preventive)
"RE4 changed, RE5 Killed and RE6 hid the body. And revelations just tried to tell the family everythings going to be alright" (Mikkomies)

JonSplitz

• Donator
  • doot doot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2013, 03:13:26 AM »
DON'T take it bad. Every criticism is NOT an attack  :stig:
(it's preventive)
I'm not taking it bad though. :/

Pocot

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2013, 03:14:21 AM »
I'm not taking it bad though. :/
Fine  ;)

Soapaosin

• Echo of pain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 April, 2013, 04:36:57 AM »
"Purgans" in my native language "Latvian" is basically pills that'll force you to have diarrhea..
So the name of this is quite.. Hilarious, for me! XD

Btw. The ceiling really needs a different texture, it just doesn't fit in.. :l
Unless you change the wall and floor textures.
« Last Edit: 29 April, 2013, 04:39:21 AM by Soapaosin »
[img width=125 height=125]https://7chan.org/fail/thumb/13770122852

JonSplitz

• Donator
  • doot doot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 April, 2013, 04:57:56 AM »
"Purgans" in my native language "Latvian" is basically pills that'll force you to have diarrhea..
So the name of this is quite.. Hilarious, for me! XD

Btw. The ceiling really needs a different texture, it just doesn't fit in.. :l
Unless you change the wall and floor textures.
Ummmm, 'Purgatory' is, according to Roman Catholic teaching, the state or place of purification or temporary punishment by which those who die in a state of grace are believed to be made ready for the Beatific Vision in Heaven.

G0Idn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 April, 2013, 05:07:54 AM »
Wow! This is looking so much better than the last works from you, you're definitely making improvement! Keep it up!

I suppose I can only quote everything that everyone else has said here. Although the ceiling texture looks fine to me, it's just the bumprads making it look somewhat muddy.

If you need any sort of help, you can always hit me up on Steam, I should be online most of the time. :stig:

JonSplitz

• Donator
  • doot doot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 April, 2013, 07:47:26 AM »
Updated first post with ModDB link but if you're too lazy...
Here it is: http://www.moddb.com/mods/cof-purgatory

Zorbos

• Donator
  • monster_robogrunt
    • View Profile
    • Volcom Mapping
« Reply #12 on: 29 April, 2013, 06:46:48 PM »
I'd suggest changing the ceiling texture in the 1st and 3rd screenshots to something that matches up with the walls better, unless there's a specific reason the ceilings are made of concrete tiles  :joebiden:

In the 2nd screenshot, you should try and mix up some of the textures on the house. It looks like you've got the architecture down already, but now it just needs something to spice it up a little more. Maybe the edges of the roof can have a trim texture, while the main parts of the house have a wooden plank texture? Also rotate the Texture Axis of the support beams in front of the door, so that the wood texture runs vertically along the beam. This will drastically help improve the flow of the scene and help make it look a bit more natural

Lastly, I have a terrible drawover, but its the best I can do.

I circled those specific areas to point out the way those brushes are "cutting" into the wall, and producing lines. This is because world brushes have to be on their own plane when they are flush against another brush, so the engine chops up the face automatically to achieve this. It usually ends up looking bad though, as you can see in the red circle areas. It gets even worse when you begin to use more complex geometry such as cylinders.

Just fix this by making the said brushes into entities. Func_wall will do just fine
You can also move the object 1 unit away from the surface so that it isn't touching it anymore. Beware that this will create unrealistic shadows though depending on where light is coming from

I agree with everyone that you've really come a long way dude. Keep up the good work!

JonSplitz

• Donator
  • doot doot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 April, 2013, 01:23:25 AM »
I'd suggest changing the ceiling texture in the 1st and 3rd screenshots to something that matches up with the walls better, unless there's a specific reason the ceilings are made of concrete tiles  :joebiden:

In the 2nd screenshot, you should try and mix up some of the textures on the house. It looks like you've got the architecture down already, but now it just needs something to spice it up a little more. Maybe the edges of the roof can have a trim texture, while the main parts of the house have a wooden plank texture? Also rotate the Texture Axis of the support beams in front of the door, so that the wood texture runs vertically along the beam. This will drastically help improve the flow of the scene and help make it look a bit more natural

Lastly, I have a terrible drawover, but its the best I can do.

I circled those specific areas to point out the way those brushes are "cutting" into the wall, and producing lines. This is because world brushes have to be on their own plane when they are flush against another brush, so the engine chops up the face automatically to achieve this. It usually ends up looking bad though, as you can see in the red circle areas. It gets even worse when you begin to use more complex geometry such as cylinders.

Just fix this by making the said brushes into entities. Func_wall will do just fine
You can also move the object 1 unit away from the surface so that it isn't touching it anymore. Beware that this will create unrealistic shadows though depending on where light is coming from

I agree with everyone that you've really come a long way dude. Keep up the good work!
Thanks dude, I'm not good at choosing Textures so I pretty much pick very crappy ones or reuse some of them :P
Also, What's a trim texture?

Zorbos

• Donator
  • monster_robogrunt
    • View Profile
    • Volcom Mapping
« Reply #14 on: 30 April, 2013, 07:27:39 AM »
A trim texture is a texture used for an edge, kind of like this:

Don't worry if you can't find an exact texture for what you need. Sometimes you can use parts of another texture. You just have to play with it in the face edit properties