Author Topic: COM_LoadFile errors - Possible fix (only 64bit OS, 4+GB RAM) - use at own risk  (Read 28791 times)

Nilex

• View Profile
Hello all first, this being my first post here.

EDIT: Fix results in a modified CoF.exe. Game utilizes Steam-VAC protection. Do not run game on an online VAC server with a modified exe - consequences unknown.
Possible fix for 32bit OS and/or 2GB RAM: check Reply #1 and Reply #7 (system property modification - this one is safe, game remains intact). Start ->Control Panel -> System -> Adv. sys. settings -> Advanced tab -> Performance box - Settings... -> Adv. tab -> Virtual memory box - Change. Play around with setting in here. Process is easily reversible if it still doesn't work so make sure you remember default settings you had before the change. Path i laid out is for Win7 but it should be very similar in XP after 3d '->'. [End of Edit]

So hmm, I've been playing the mod for a month or so, taking my time exploring every nook and cranny there is but never more than an hour at a time because of this error that kept coming up. Made my peace with it after seeing the semi-official explanation here: http://www.cry-of-fear.com/forum/index.php?topic=2537.0 and kept saving often. That sadly excluded the possibility of me playing on nightmare mode trying to unlock stuff.

Little before i discovered CoF i also started to play Supreme Commander, mixing it up between the two. SupCom had a bad habit of crashing itself on a large map with many units even though the game ran smoothly, without symptoms it was about to crash. Identifying the problem as a 'not enough memory' (so to speak) wasn't hard. And searching for solution lead me to: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/118393-13-make-supreme-commander - be sure to follow and read first link in the first post for understanding of the fix, second link leads to the fix itself. I was skeptical to run unknown exe as anyone should, but after scanning it and investigating online i patched the SupCom executable and game didn't crash anymore after that under similar circumstances.

So i continued to play one game that crashed and the other that didn't until i realized that CoF crashing problem might be related to shortage of memory as well, or to say it better: inability of 32-bit CoF using more then set amount of RAM, not engine limitation as explained. What made me think that was: HL is an old game, system reqs only ask for 32MB RAM - remember large maps separated with 'loading gates' to segment the map, all that with very low texture resolutions for todays standard? That could fit well inside 32 MB i suppose. CoF uses that engine using higher res textured littered with shaders taking up loads more memory. Furthermore, CoF isn't purging previous areas from memory allowing for quicker loading times when backtracking while taking more RAM. My game used to crash when RAM usage went up above 1 GB. Now after i thoguht i had identified CoF problem as memory shortage i only needed to forget that SupCom patch wasn't just for SupCom but all 32 bit apps...

Three days ago i did just that: patching successful it said. Game hasn't crashed since. For example i played trough multiple chapters with a lot of different areas and game ran just fine. I'm still not used to it, expecting it to crash :) I figured I'm just gonna post it for the rest of you guys, even if it crashes it's still a 3-day session minimum.
I'm running this on W7, 4GB RAM, 1280x720 windowed, screen blur, screen grain and bump maps off.

There are few important things to note:
  • your OS has to be 64bit with at least 4GB RAM. If it's not you could try to patch it anyways and see if it works. The patch makes backup of the executable you're patching in the same folder as the patched executable so no need make your own backup
  • if it still isn't working or you're on 32-bit OS and/or less then 4GB RAM then i recommend following this post: http://www.cry-of-fear.com/forum/index.php?topic=3370.msg71328#msg71328. I would add to remove shader options as they take much more RAM, allowing usage of higher resolution and color depth
  • keep in mind this WILL change your CoF.exe somewhat (don't ask me specifics, I ain't that pc savvy) so any possible non-related bugs you may encounter you should ALWAYS test with original CoF.exe before reporting them
Please take the 3rd paragraph with a grain of salt as it it's written based on solely my gaming experience (albeit long one), and some logic :)
« Last Edit: 26 May, 2013, 03:22:13 AM by Nilex »

DNR3

• Donator
  • Whats a Psykskallar?
    • View Profile
Re: COM_LoadFile errors - Possible fix (only 64bit OS, 4+GB RAM)
« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2013, 06:12:54 AM »
Modifying the game exe may cause VAC problems (if VAC works). (also, is vac really needed for co-op?  :stig: )

I never had that error but i'll try this anyway, using more ram surely will make the game run faster.

Edit: I just read the info about that patch, and its about virtual memory. Isn't it the windows pagefile? I always configure windows to have a huge pagefile so maybe thats why I never had this error.
« Last Edit: 24 May, 2013, 04:01:16 PM by DNR3 »

mrpeanut188

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2013, 09:11:21 AM »
I think it wouldnt create VAC problems, usually the client.dll and server.dll are the ones I've seen VAC rage on.
Although I may be wrong. I'll try this out later today if I remember.
You should've stopped when you lost the advantage.

ruMpel

• Lead & Level/General Artist
  • CoF Team
    • View Profile
    • Cry of Fear
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2013, 06:12:49 PM »
Hello all first, this being my first post here.

So hmm, I've been playing the mod for a month or so, taking my time exploring every nook and cranny there is but never more than an hour at a time because of this error that kept coming up. Made my peace with it after seeing the semi-official explanation here: http://www.cry-of-fear.com/forum/index.php?topic=2537.0 and kept saving often. That sadly excluded the possibility of me playing on nightmare mode trying to unlock stuff.

Little before i discovered CoF i also started to play Supreme Commander, mixing it up between the two. SupCom had a bad habit of crashing itself on a large map with many units even though the game ran smoothly, without symptoms it was about to crash. Identifying the problem as a 'not enough memory' (so to speak) wasn't hard. And searching for solution lead me to: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/118393-13-make-supreme-commander - be sure to follow and read first link in the first post for understanding of the fix, second link leads to the fix itself. I was skeptical to run unknown exe as anyone should, but after scanning it and investigating online i patched the SupCom executable and game didn't crash anymore after that under similar circumstances.

So i continued to play one game that crashed and the other that didn't until i realized that CoF crashing problem might be related to shortage of memory as well, or to say it better: inability of 32-bit CoF using more then set amount of RAM, not engine limitation as explained. What made me think that was: HL is an old game, system reqs only ask for 32MB RAM - remember large maps separated with 'loading gates' to segment the map, all that with very low texture resolutions for todays standard? That could fit well inside 32 MB i suppose. CoF uses that engine using higher res textured littered with shaders taking up loads more memory. Furthermore, CoF isn't purging previous areas from memory allowing for quicker loading times when backtracking while taking more RAM. My game used to crash when RAM usage went up above 1 GB. Now after i thoguht i had identified CoF problem as memory shortage i only needed to forget that SupCom patch wasn't just for SupCom but all 32 bit apps...

Three days ago i did just that: patching successful it said. Game hasn't crashed since. For example i played trough multiple chapters with a lot of different areas and game ran just fine. I'm still not used to it, expecting it to crash :) I figured I'm just gonna post it for the rest of you guys, even if it crashes it's still a 3-day session minimum.
I'm running this on W7, 4GB RAM, 1280x720 windowed, screen blur, screen grain and bump maps off.

There are few important things to note:
  • your OS has to be 64bit with at least 4GB RAM. If it's not you could try to patch it anyways and see if it works. The patch makes backup of the executable you're patching in the same folder as the patched executable so no need make your own backup
  • if it still isn't working or you're on 32-bit OS and/or less then 4GB RAM then i recommend following this post: http://www.cry-of-fear.com/forum/index.php?topic=3370.msg71328#msg71328. I would add to remove shader options as they take much more RAM, allowing usage of higher resolution and color depth
  • keep in mind this WILL change your CoF.exe somewhat (don't ask me specifics, I ain't that pc savvy) so any possible non-related bugs you may encounter you should ALWAYS test with original CoF.exe before reporting them
Please take the 3rd paragraph with a grain of salt as it it's written based on solely my gaming experience (albeit long one), and some logic :)

Great findings! Thank you for looking into this. I want to know if this fixes the crash problems for you others who are experiencing them.

For me in the other hand, it doesn't crash at all, and my PC is a high end modern PC, so it seems like these crashes are very random for people. But for those who are experiencing crashes a lot, please try out this solution!

Burret

• Donator
  • Dead member since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2013, 08:02:19 PM »
I gave one of my friend who has a 64-bit Windows tried this method. This actually works! But sadly, those who have 32-bit Windows OS (like me) doesn't worked at all.
Dead mod

Nilex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 May, 2013, 01:24:53 AM »
Good point about VAC. I did actually take that into consideration but ignored it eventually because of CoF not being a Valve game and subsequently without a VAC system. However, reading some more about VAC preceding this post i realized i jumped to conclusions (bah) - it doesn't need to be Valve game to be VAC secured. Thankfully i haven't fek'd myself or anyone else (EDIT: yet, check edit bellow). Pheew? :)
In addition, i thought that even if CoF had VAC surely that little fix wouldn't be considered a cheat. In hindsight: lol i'm a gambler.

Just to reassure everyone this fix is safe. It wont get you banned. EDIT: QUESTIONABLE, see post bellow.
Here is a list of games that use VAC:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_Anti-Cheat#Games_that_support_VAC
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category2=8 (most up-to-date list).
If someone gets the idea to use the patch on one of those games be sure to investigate if it is safe to do so! Take a special note of CoD games on the Wiki page.

@BulletProofmonk
nice to hear it helped your buddy! You have no idea how far-fetched the idea was for me when i patched it ;D cool stuff
If some more people say it helped them i'll remove the 'Possible' from the title, my secret hope from the start.
« Last Edit: 25 May, 2013, 08:59:49 AM by Nilex »

DeadHammer

• Inb4 "u wot m8?"
    • View Profile
    • ContinentalWiz!
« Reply #6 on: 25 May, 2013, 01:44:25 AM »
Well, I really appreciate you bringing this up man. CoF usually crashed after loading only like 2 maps lel. But after using the the method you've mentioned above, I've managed to do 12+ level changes without actually crashing and 6+ new maps with any crashes.

This is a really great method for those with 64-bit operating System(s)! This should be stickied by one of the Developers, or rather written into a totally new thread, or even updated on the Steam page.

Although I'm expecting further crashes, but none till now :)

Thats what i call OWNAGE :yow:

Add me if yer guys want to :) 

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cryofhammer

DNR3

• Donator
  • Whats a Psykskallar?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 May, 2013, 07:17:27 AM »
In addition, i thought that even if CoF had VAC (it doesn't btw)...

http://i.imgur.com/92tB1Fv.png just saying  :joebiden:

Those with a 32bit OS may try increasing the pagefile size. I never had this error even in WinXP  :stig: (I had a pagefile in 2 partitions, 4GB each, lol)

Nilex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 May, 2013, 08:41:25 AM »
Pretty surprising, big oversight... thanks. I'll update my posts to reflect that. Sorry guys!
On the plus side of things my SupCom game executable has been patched like this for more then a month and i'm still OK although i haven't played online either game, patched or not.
« Last Edit: 25 May, 2013, 09:05:57 AM by Nilex »

‌‌‌‌‌goner

• View Profile
Can confirm this works x2!

I put this on my sisters laptop (Windows 8 64bit 8gb RAM)
It used to crash a lot in the first and second map but now it does not!

there was a duck named steve who liked to eat cheese and peas and plant magical seeds whilst swilling mead

ruMpel

• Lead & Level/General Artist
  • CoF Team
    • View Profile
    • Cry of Fear
    • Email
So this just modifies the .exe?

Could anyone upload a working .exe instead? Makes it easier.

Burret

• Donator
  • Dead member since 2012
    • View Profile
Here you go. Though that its modified but it works well without any issues.

Oh yeah, you guys should upload this on next Steam patch.

(For 64-bit Users only.)
« Last Edit: 29 May, 2013, 09:01:34 PM by 不幸だのBulletProof »
Dead mod

JonSplitz

• Donator
  • doot doot
    • View Profile
Here you go. Though that its modified but it works well without any issues.

(For 64-bit Users only.)
Holy shit. It works, thanks BP and others now I can finally do the single-player without crashing. :D

DeadHammer

• Inb4 "u wot m8?"
    • View Profile
    • ContinentalWiz!
So this just modifies the .exe?

Could anyone upload a working .exe instead? Makes it easier.

You guys should really let out a patch for this, it will really help the 64-bit operating system users out there (like me). :D

Thats what i call OWNAGE :yow:

Add me if yer guys want to :) 

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cryofhammer

‌‌‌‌‌goner

• View Profile
I have an idea to implement this into the next steam update.
How about you have two cof.exe files one that has the 64bit patch, and one that dosen't. then you have the launcher detect if the system is 32 or 64 bit then have it check how many ram it has so it can launch the appropriate exe file.

there was a duck named steve who liked to eat cheese and peas and plant magical seeds whilst swilling mead