Author Topic: Level design geometry help!  (Read 11961 times)

D3ads

• Donator
  • Loyal Servant Of The Psycho Queen Of Bulgary
    • View Profile
    • Moddb
Level design geometry help!
« on: 19 June, 2013, 03:04:42 AM »
How can I get a certain shaped brush to be part of a set of brushes that curve around? If it's a straight brush then I can get make a cylinder and portion it but with the kind of "wedge shape" I want to make rounded it would require something else and I have no idea how? Rotating and positioning the piece each time is not an option. Here's what I mean, sorry for the horrible diagram but I think you get the point?

I'm trying to make this (the piece with the rivets underneath);

You can see how I've done it with the straight pieces already, I'm basically doing that again but rounded;

It probably requires some kind of vertex manipulation I'm guessing, which I'm still utterly useless at...

Anterly

• Donator
  • Bad Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Level design geometry help!
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2013, 06:11:15 AM »
How can I get a certain shaped brush to be part of a set of brushes that curve around? If it's a straight brush then I can get make a cylinder and portion it but with the kind of "wedge shape" I want to make rounded it would require something else and I have no idea how? Rotating and positioning the piece each time is not an option. Here's what I mean, sorry for the horrible diagram but I think you get the point?

I'm trying to make this (the piece with the rivets underneath);

You can see how I've done it with the straight pieces already, I'm basically doing that again but rounded;

It probably requires some kind of vertex manipulation I'm guessing, which I'm still utterly useless at...

i see what you're trying to say. is it not possible for you to save on using many brushes for each rivet and instead make it similar to pic 4 in which you could just make it one straight brush but with a texture which gives it the feeling that it looks like they're each their own rivet. but i'm still not quite sure on what you're actually asking for. i'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to terms on anything but you could just try using the arch tool for both and then with the rivets, you could just vertex manipulate the rivet arch to fit on to the main wall. sorry if this is a bit confusing, as i'm just spitballing.

BerZerK

• Voice Actor - Doctor
  • CoF Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2013, 08:28:01 AM »
You mean something like this..?

Edit: View it in "3D Filled Polygons"

D3ads

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Moddb
« Reply #3 on: 20 June, 2013, 12:31:45 AM »
Nope you've both misunderstood me :P

It would probably help if I show what I want to do using the actual map itself...

Here's what I've made so far of the round part of the building just using basic cylinders;

Now that part circled is the basic straight version of the structure used on the other parts you can see and it looks like this;

Now see below that is what I want to do with it, ignore how horrible it looks since I've just cloned and manually rotated the structure several times so it doesn't match up properly. I want to have it like that but have it properly aligned to the grid and matched up correctly... if that's even possible?

BerZerK

• Voice Actor - Doctor
  • CoF Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 20 June, 2013, 12:35:41 AM »
Perhaps if you made "pie" pieces (instead of "square" ones) to fill in the gaps. If that makes sense.

Edit: Of course you would have to tweak every filler piece half-way through the arch...
« Last Edit: 20 June, 2013, 12:39:12 AM by BerZerK »

D3ads

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Moddb
« Reply #5 on: 20 June, 2013, 03:58:29 AM »
Yeah I don't think that'll work, I probably can't pull this off sadly but it's not a big deal really, cylinders/arches will probably do if it's a no go plan...

mrpeanut188

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 20 June, 2013, 06:44:17 AM »
You can manually clip all the verts to the grid. But it'd take a few minutes.
You should've stopped when you lost the advantage.

D3ads

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Moddb
« Reply #7 on: 20 June, 2013, 08:02:48 AM »
You can manually clip all the verts to the grid. But it'd take a few minutes.

I actually thought about this, create an arch and then vertex the bits to fit, it might work... I'll see and get back with the findings...

mrpeanut188

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 20 June, 2013, 09:31:54 AM »
I actually thought about this, create an arch and then vertex the bits to fit, it might work... I'll see and get back with the findings...
I've done it before.
Don't edit it though, or you will get thousands of bad solids. It's garbage.
You should've stopped when you lost the advantage.

okowita

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 December, 2014, 07:23:56 AM »
I've done it before.
Don't edit it though, or you will get thousands of bad solids. It's garbage.
The first thing I thought about was the tool to the right in Hammer that makes prefabs. There you can choose cylinder and choose arches or something. It can make round things.

The building you are building looks good. Interesting texture on the ground that looks taken from earth view from a map.
How did you get/make the textures for the building?

D3ads

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Moddb
« Reply #10 on: 26 December, 2014, 11:52:59 PM »
Nice necrobump :joebiden: I've been able to pull off this geometry by using arches and vertex manip, worked out well!

The aerial photo is from Google maps and not a texture, rather used to get the scale as accurate as possible by using the cars in combination with actual car models to gauge the size.

As for the textures, from a larger scale of this photo;

I still have to edit them further so they are't sunlit and the details are sharper...

okowita

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 December, 2014, 03:28:16 AM »
Nice necrobump :joebiden: I've been able to pull off this geometry by using arches and vertex manip, worked out well!

The aerial photo is from Google maps and not a texture, rather used to get the scale as accurate as possible by using the cars in combination with actual car models to gauge the size.

As for the textures, from a larger scale of this photo;

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7212/7179542795_ee0505d732_b.jpg

I still have to edit them further so they are't sunlit and the details are sharper...
Okay. I thought that you had to take a screenshot of Google maps and then make it a texture to see it in Hammer. Which mod will this building and map be for?

D3ads

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Moddb
« Reply #12 on: 29 December, 2014, 02:59:43 AM »
Yes you do in that sense but it's not an actual texture that will be used in final.

The answer is right in front of you :joebiden: