Author Topic: Flashlight not working and Simon has a 3rd arm  (Read 3352 times)

Deathrain39

• Fresh One
    • View Profile
Flashlight not working and Simon has a 3rd arm
« on: 07 May, 2014, 05:24:59 AM »
So I have this problem where my phone flashlight doesn't work at all and when I dual wield things with the phone Simon has a 3rd arm.

I'm not sure what the problem is but i'm pretty sure it started happening after i messed with the gamma settings. It was working perfectly fine for the entire game (from start to just before the subway) but now it's just not working, making it unplayable at the moment.

I've seen others that are having this problem and are having no luck as well.

And before anyone is asking have i searched for a solution. I have and have been for 2 days!
Anyway I've tried pretty much all of the "fixes" and none seem to work, so i decided to make an account and post to see if i can get the help I'm looking for.

Headshot?

• Oh Sheit, monster.
    • View Profile
Re: Flashlight not working and Simon has a 3rd arm
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2014, 11:51:27 AM »
This seems like an issue that I can't seem to trace (maybe hardware-related due to the engine age).

Can you post your specifications please? I might gather all of those specifications listed by others and see what could be the problem :-\

Deathrain39

• Fresh One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2014, 12:11:56 PM »
I'm not certain it's spec related because the game worked perfectly fine up until the gamma was messed with. but quite a few others are also having the problem, also a few forums and posts as to them having the light issue as well as a few with the arm problem. I'm also not sure how exactly to check my specs (which I don't expect to be great since I'm on a mid priced laptop...)

also here is a link to a video someone posted on youtube with almost the exact same problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6K0IXiguJg

Headshot?

• Oh Sheit, monster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2014, 03:18:49 PM »
The problem kinda links up to the "opengl32.dll". The problem only exists (as far as I know) on integrated GPUs (both NVIDIA and AMD GPUs).

Re-installing Cry of Fear on Steam doesn't work, and sometimes replacing the "opengl32.dll" may work. Playing on a desktop on the other hand doesn't present this problem (it can be tested to see if it does).

Otherwise, it's a odd issue.

Deathrain39

• Fresh One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 May, 2014, 04:03:36 AM »
I really hope someone can help or find a fix, cause I'm pretty upset that I can't enjoy this game anymore at the moment.

I've tried everything from downloading new opengl32 files as well as cg and cgGL files. I've deleted and re-downloaded the game several times with no success and i've even verified the integrity of game files countless times.

If you haven't noticed I really enjoy this game or else I'd have just let it be and never bothered to fix it but please could someone at least shine some light on this problem. It's a game breaking bug and there's been no actual fix for it other than pure luck.

Lylax

• RECB:RECV
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2014, 08:41:28 PM »
Here's what you might need in addition to play games the proper way:
- Adobe AIR
- Adobe Flash Player / Adobe Shockwave Player / Silverlight (Microsoft Flash Player)
- Java Runtime Environment (JRE) + Java SE Development Kit
- DirectX (DirectX End-User Runtimes)
- Microsoft .NET Framework (preferably the newest of these)
- Microsoft Visual C++
- Microsoft XNA Framework
- OpenAL

Few of these are essential for running certain games. And some of them might never see usage. But you never lose if you have them.
Good luck

What are these? Google them.