Author Topic: Decompiling Cry of Fear maps  (Read 2043 times)

kumbaya

• Fresh One
    • View Profile
Decompiling Cry of Fear maps
« on: 08 June, 2017, 11:43:52 AM »
Hello there! As the title says, i am interested in looking closer at the Cry of Fear maps by decompiling them and study them further such as textures, enemy placement vice versa.. So far i haven't had any luck doing it as any decompiler i try just crashes immediatly, that or they just don't work propperly with CoF.

I would however be glad if someone could help me with this since i am intrigued in the whole modding community alltogether, just need to find a way to be able to decompile the maps, no matter even if they do turn out bad..

//Per

ruMpel

• Lead & Level/General Artist
  • CoF Team
    • View Profile
    • Cry of Fear
    • Email
Re: Decompiling Cry of Fear maps
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2017, 04:04:45 AM »
I've never been able to decompile any hl1 map whatsoever. For what is this for? :slowerno:

kumbaya

• Fresh One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 June, 2017, 05:27:32 AM »
For a year now i have though of remaking Cry of Fear a-new based on the Source Engine, mainly the one that Team Fortress 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode 2 uses for a much more sleeker and non-prop limited game, i figured since you guys wanted to move on i wanted to take this opportunity to atleast see what i could make out of the old Cry of Fear and what i could perhaps recycle into the new Source Engine.

Gold Source was a peculiar program to use for Cry of Fear, but i feel like the maps could have been expanded longer with more puzzles or even have more detail to them aswell as more eerie ambience and soundscapes added to them, not to mention adding a sun that slowly rises when you exit the mental hospitals on your way home.

ruMpel

• Lead & Level/General Artist
  • CoF Team
    • View Profile
    • Cry of Fear
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 10 June, 2017, 07:45:18 AM »
Sent you a PM.